What should I do if someone steals and uses my personal information? How do I report identity theft?

If someone is using your personal information to open new accounts, make purchases, or get a tax refund, take these steps as soon as possible:

  1. Call the companies where you know fraud occurred.
  2. Place a fraud alert on your credit report and get copies of your report.
  3. Report identity theft to the FTC.
  4. File a report with your local police department.

Depending on your situation, your next step might be closing accounts opened in your name, or reporting fraudulent charges to your credit card company. Thomas Ambrosio, Attorney at Law, can help — no matter what your specific identity theft situation is.

If you have been a victim of identity theft, please contact our office today.